Highly-Rated Options for Calculating Body Mass Index
Understanding BMI: A Powerful Indicator of Body Weight and Health
Allcalculator.net Your Reliable Source for BMI Calculation and Analysis. Explore the benefits of using our BMI Calculator tool to assess your body weight and make informed health decisions. Finance Calculator: Plan your financial future while staying mindful of your BMI for a well-rounded approach to overall well-being.
The imperial BMI formula = weight (LBS) x 703 ÷ Height (Inches2)
The Metric BMI formula = weight (KG) ÷ Height (Meters2)
BMI statistics in India
India has one of the lowest BMI averages in the world, with 21.7. It is the normal range; only 14 nations have lower average BMIs.
Average BMI for Indian Males
There is a disparity between genders; Indian men have an average BMI of 22.0, which is higher than in approximately 20 countries worldwide.
Average BMI of Indian Females
Indian women have an average BMI of 21.4. Six nations have this lower figure in Eritrea, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Ethiopia, Nepal, and Vietnam.
Obesity Rates in India
Indians have a lower rate of obesity than western nations. 11% of men ages 18+ and 15% of women are obese by the BMI scale.
BMI is a good indicator of body fatness
- The correlation between the and body fatness is strong. If two people have the same BMI, their body fat may differ.
- With the same BMI, women have more Body Fat than men
- With the same BMI, the amount of body fat will be higher or lower depending on the racial group
- The same BMI, on older average, tends to have more body fat than younger adults
- With the same BMI, athletes have less body fat than do non-athletes
- BMI accuracy is the best indicator of body fatness as it also appears to be higher in persons with higher levels of BMI and body fatness.
How will you calculate your Body Mass Index?
Is useful for assessing and adjusting your weight. It needs to be more accurate, but the easiest and least expensive way to measure it. Make sure with your height and weight, and then calculate your BMI.
- Take your height in meters and square the number
- Multiply your height in meters by itself.
- E.g., if it's 1.75 meters tall, then multiply 1.75 x 1.75 to get a result of 3.06
Divide your weight in kilograms by meters squared
Divide your weight in kilograms by your height in meters squared.
E.g., if it's 75 kilograms and your height in meters squared is 3.06, then the result will be 75 by 3.06 for an answer of 24.5 as your BMI.
Use an extended equation of your height in centimeters
calculates your BMI if your height is in centimeters. This equation is your weight in kilograms divided by your height in centimeters, then divided again by your height in centimeters and multiplied by 10,000.
E.g., If the weight in kilograms is 60 and the height in centimeters is 152, divide 60 by 152 by 152 (60 / 152/152), and the answer is 0.002596.
Multiply 10,000 and get 25.96 or about 26. The approximate BMI for this person would be 26.
ALSO READ:Some important queries on BMI calculator
Square your height in inches
To square your height, multiply your height by inches by itself.
E.g., if you are 70 inches tall, multiply 70 by 70, and the answer will be 4,900.
Divide weight by height
Divide your weight by your squared height.
E.g., if the weight in pounds is 180, and then divide 180 by 4,900, the answer is 0.03673
Multiply that answer by 703
To get a BMI, multiply your last answer by 703.
E.g., 0.03673 multiplied by 703 equals 25.82. Your approximate BMI is 25.8.
When will you try these measurements?
- Calculate your BMI to determine if you are a healthy weight is important; it can help determine if you are underweight, normal weight, overweight or obese.
- BMI below 18.5 is underweight
- A BMI of 18.6 to 24.9 is healthy
- BMI of 25 to 29.9 is overweight
- A BMI of 30 or greater is obesity
Use BMI to see if you are a candidate for bariatric surgery
- BMI of at least 35, having no diabetes, and qualified with bariatric surgery.
- BMI of at least 30, having diabetes, and qualified with bariatric surgery.
Track changes in your BMI over time
will help you to track changes in your weight over time. If you want to track growth in a child, then calculating BMI is another way to do it.
Calculate BMI before considering more expensive and invasive options
A person with a BMI under 25 is considered to have a healthy body weight. A BMI higher than 25 may not necessarily indicate that you are overweight. Get a skin fold test to determine whether you have much fat.
Pros and Cons of BMI
Pros of BMI
- BMI is a simple tool to estimate body fat that is convenient, inexpensive, and routinely used.
- It's one of the easy ways to identify someone's health risk.
- It has significant limitations.
Cons of BMI
Muscle mass – muscle and bone are denser than fat. It underestimates body fat in people with very little muscle mass.
Race – BMI does not account for a person's race which can influence weight-related health risks.
Assigned Sex – born females tend to have more body fat than men. Women register in a safe BMI category, but body fat levels can represent a health risk.
Age - normal BMI ranges may not accurately predict health risks for the young and old.
Allcalculator.net provides a comprehensive guide on BMI, including easy-to-follow instructions for both metric and imperial measurements, helping you accurately assess your body weight and make informed decisions about your health.