How To Calculate Your BMR : A Step-by-step Guide
Allcalculator.net, the ultimate destination for a wide range of financial tools and calculators. Discover the power of our user-friendly BMR Calculator, designed to assist you in accurately calculating your basal metabolic rate. By providing essential information such as age, gender, weight, and height, our BMR Calculator helps you understand your body's calorie needs for sustaining life. Trust Allcalculator.net for precise and reliable results that can support your health and fitness goals.
What affects BMR?
Your BMR will rise due to anything that raises your metabolic rate. Your BMR varies depending on height, weight, age, and body mass. Your gender also impacts you because it is generally accepted that men need more calories than women.
When it comes to manual calculation, there are a few equations used to calculate this BMR, and they are
- Revised Harris-Benedict Equation
- Mifflin-St Jeor Equation
- Cunningham Equation
Different BMR equations for men and women
Revised Harris-Benedict Equation = (88.40 + 13.40 x weight in kg) + (4.80 x height in cm) – (5.68 x age in years) for men.
Revised Harris-Benedict Equation =(447.60 + 9.25 x weight in kg) + (3.10 x height in cm) – (4.33 x age) for women
Mifflin-St Jeor Equation
Mifflin-St Jeor Equation=(9.99 x weight in kg) + (6.25 x height in cm) – (4.92 x age in years) + 5 for men
Mifflin-St Jeor Equation=(9.99 x weight in kg) + (6.25 x height in cm) – (4.92 x age in years) – 161 for women
Cunningham Equation=500 + (22 x lean body mass in kg) (for both men and women)
Among all the three Revised Harris-Benedict Equation is a common equation used to calculate BMR.
Reading BMR values for the total needed energy is as follows
- BMR *1.2- Little or no exercise
- BMR * 1.375 – light exercise
- BMR * 1.55 – normal exercise
- BMR * 1.725 – Very active
- BMR * 1.9 – Extra active
According to the calculation above:
- You must consume fewer calories over the long term than you expend if you want to reduce weight.
- You must eat a little bit more Calories per day than you expend to gain weight.
- You must consume roughly the same quantity of food as you expend over time to maintain your current weight.
Another way to calculate BMR is just by using this simple BMR calculator
All you need to do is
Step 1: To choose the metric you want to feed, whether it is US units or metric units
Step 2: Select the gender
Step 3: Feed the age
Step 4: input the height and weight details
Step 5: Press calculate
And you will get a BMR chart on the actual number of calories that need to be consumed based on your exercise or workout schedule, based on which you can make lifestyle changes that help you reduce weight.
Also Read: What are three factors that can affect BMR?
How to increase BMR?
- Building muscle is the most effective technique to raise BMR. Lean muscle mass increases metabolism and burns more calories than fat. And functional training will help you gain muscle faster.
- Eating the appropriate number of calories is another technique to raise BMR that you could have inferred from the calculator.
- Try to have stress under control.
Following these three above ways improves your BMR value and use our BMR Calculator to know th values.